Sunday, June 12, 2011

Albert Camus once said...

Albert Camus once said: “Every act of rebellion expresses a nostalgia for innocence and an appeal to the essence of being”.  I think that is very true.  I was very fortunate to live where I lived and grew up where I grew up. Summerville South Carolina for some strange reason was a fertile hot bed of creative expression and youth rebellion. We didn't fit in with everyone else but we weren't unique.  Across the United States others were doing similar things in similar communities. People have said that 1994 was the year that punk broke. Maybe that’s how and why we chose punk and hardcore. What we did was definitely not mainstream. We didn't play football we didn't go to pep-rallies. We played music, we wrote fanzines, we put on shows, and we traveled. We created a better world to grow up in and shared it with those who cared enough to show up. Think of this as a love note to youth, innocence, and rebellion. This is a love note to my friends, some of which I have not spoken to in nearly 15 years. I hope this allows you to take some time out of your adulthood to remember where you came from and what it was you wanted to be doing at this point in your life.
-with love and admiration.
Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment